JunctionOval.jpg
Esplanade

Esplanade

The original meaning of esplanade was a large, open, level area outside fortress or city walls to provide clear fields of fire for the fortress' guns. In modern usage the space allows people to walk for recreational purposes; esplanades are often on sea fronts, and allow walking whatever the state of the tide, without having to walk on the beach. Esplanades became popular in Victorian times when it was fashionable to visit seaside resorts.

TIP: To see all the entries you must be a registered account holder and be logged in. To create an account, see RH lower panel.

Other names: none Date built: ca 1873 - 1885 Demolished: ca 1970, land combined with no. 2 for the construction of a block of flats. Architect: unknown Builder: unknown Cost: unknown Owner: ? Occupiers: Mrs R. Annesley Billing (?-1885), Mrs…
Duerdin's paddock from the St Kilda Jetty ca. 1865The New Bath Hotel was built in April 1857 as an investment for the local businessman and politician James Stewart Johnston (1811-1896), MLA for St Kilda 1859-64. Johnston was hoping to make…
Other names Carlyon's Esplanade Hotel, Carlyon's Hotel Date built: 1877 Architect: Smith & Johnson architects Builder: unknown Cost: unknown 1st Owner: James Orkney (1822-1896) Architecture: The style of architecture employed is called Italianate. It was modelled on a type of Italian…
History of house with images will be added here shortly. Stay tuned!
Other Names: Rathlin (?-1901), Kilnyana (1901-?), Mandalay (1916-1979?) Date Built: 1882 Architect: Smith & Johnson [The partnership of Alfred Louis Smith (1830-1907) & Arthur Ebden Johnson(1823-1895)] Builder: not known Cost: not known Owners: Alfred Kirkpatrick (1882-?), Mrs E M Perkins (-1892), Southern…
This site was created by the subdivision of Crown Allotment 7 into three sections, following Andrew Kirkpatrick's purchase of Acadia Cottage from the estate of Thomas Jackson in 1880. The house became a guest house from ca. 1910 and was…
In June 1846 Joseph Howard, proprietor of the Union hotel in Elizabeth Street, purchased Crown Allotment 8 with the intention of building a hotel facing the sea. By July 1847 the Royal Hotel was complete and operating. Other Names Mooney's…
** Please note that this item is currently being worked on. More details will be added very soon.** Other Names: Yamba (1888-1920), Sur la Mer Date Built: 1869 Architect: Smith & Watts [Alfred Louis Smith(ca.1831-1907) and Thomas Watts(1827-1915)] Builder: unknown…
Other Names: none Date Built: 1886 Architect: William Pitt (1850-1918) Builder: unknown Cost: unknown Owners: William Branch Occupants: Sophia Hile Description: History: History of terrace with images will be added here shortly. Stay tuned! Source Description or [note]

The St Kilda Historical Society respectfully acknowledges:


Yalukut Weelam clan

The traditional lands of the Yalukut Weelam clan and the continuing relationship of the Boon Worrung people to our local area

City of Port Phillip

The continuing support of the City of Port Phillip

Volunteers

The contribution made by past and present volunteers

© 2018 St Kilda Historical Society Inc. ABNº 25 188 646 275. All Rights Reserved.