Collegiate School (1853-1860)

Written by

Advertisement in Argus 29.9.1855 p.3Advertisement in The Argus newspaper  29.9.1855 p.3The Colligate School was established on 10th October 1853 by Charles Action Goslett, First Academic Scholar, Trinity College, Dublin with the support of the Anglican Church. Its first premises were in High Street just south of the Junction store, on the east side. It was later to move to the corner of Fitzroy Street and the Esplanade.

In 1860 Goslett was forced to close the school due to financial difficulties. Subsequently he taught at Melbourne Grammar and later as headmaster at Christ Church School.

The St Kilda Historical Society respectfully acknowledges:

Yalukut Weelam clan

The traditional lands of the Yalukut Weelam clan and the continuing relationship of the Boon Worrung people to our local area

City of Port Phillip

The continuing support of the City of Port Phillip


The contribution made by past and present volunteers

© 2019 St Kilda Historical Society Inc. ABNº 25 188 646 275. All Rights Reserved.