Linden, 26 Acland Street

Home of Moritz Michaelis 1872 Home of Moritz Michaelis 1872 Donald MacDonald, SLV Pictures

Other Names

none

Date Built

1870

Architect

Alfred Kursteiner (1829?-1897)

Owners

[-1870-1902] Moritz Michaelis (1820-1902) partner in Michaelis Hallenstein & Co. tanners

History

This site was subdivided off from Crown Allotment 9, purchased by Dr Thomas Black at the first St Kilda Crown Land sale on 1842.12.7. It was further subdivided into 9 allotments by a later owner William Hoffman and offered for auction on 1865.12.1. By 1870 these 9 sites had been purchased by Moritz Michaelis who commissioned Alfred Kursteiner to design him a new house. It is reputed that William Guilfoyle was asked to design the extensive garden surrounding the house.

The house remained in the Michaelis family for the next 87 years. In 1957 it was finally sold to Mr & Mrs Witty who converted it into a private hotel called Linden Court and then sold the gardens sold off for flat development. The building continued to trade as a private hotel/rooming house until eventually in 1983 it was purchased by the City of St Kilda. Since 1984 the building has been used as a Council funded art gallery.

For a more extended history see Richard Peterson, A Place of Sensuous Resort, chapter 8

 

 

  Source Summary [or note]
1.

 Argus

1865.12.1 p.2

Sales by Auction

This day, public notice that the sale of that very enviable square of central village building land , adjoining the residence of Hon. B. Williams MLC situate at the corner of Acland and Robe streets and opposite the property T. Jackson. [despcription of the 9 sites follow].

2.

Argus

1870.5.16 p.3

Tenders

Mr Kursteiner, architect, Neave's Buildings, requires tenders for erecting villa residence, corner Acland and Robe streets, St Kilda.

     
     

The St Kilda Historical Society respectfully acknowledges:


Yalukut Weelam clan

The traditional lands of the Yalukut Weelam clan and the continuing relationship of the Boon Worrung people to our local area

City of Port Phillip

The continuing support of the City of Port Phillip

Volunteers

The contribution made by past and present volunteers

© 2018 St Kilda Historical Society Inc. ABNº 25 188 646 275. All Rights Reserved.