This site was subdivided off from Crown Allotment 9, purchased by Dr Thomas Black at the first St Kilda Crown Land sale on 1842.12.7. It was further subdivided into 9 allotments by a later owner William Hoffman and offered for auction on 1865.12.1. By 1870 these 9 sites had been purchased by Moritz Michaelis who commissioned Alfred Kursteiner to design him a new house. It is reputed that William Guilfoyle was asked to design the extensive garden surrounding the house.To come
The house remained in the Michaelis family for the next 87 years. In 1957 it was finally sold to Mr & Mrs Witty who converted it into a private hotel called Linden Court and then sold the gardens sold off for flat development. The building continued to trade as a private hotel/rooming house until eventually in 1983 it was purchased by the City of St Kilda. Since 1984 the building has been used as a Council funded art gallery.
For a more extended history see Richard Peterson, A Place of Sensuous Resort, chapter 8
Source Summary [or note] 1. Argus 1865.12.1 p.2 Sales by Auction
This day, public notice that the sale of that very enviable square of central village building land , adjoining the residence of Hon. B. Williams MLC situate at the corner of Acland and Robe streets and opposite the property T. Jackson. [despcription of the 9 sites follow].
2. Argus 1870.5.16 p.3 Tenders Mr Kursteiner, architect, Neave's Buildings, requires tenders for erecting villa residence, corner Acland and Robe streets, St Kilda.To come
Obituaries Australia Entry http://oa.anu.edu.au/obituary/michaelis-moritz-4194
MMDB Entry 1034
Linden is now owned by the City of Port Phillip and used as an Art Gallery.