Gibbs & Finlay architects, A & K Henderson architects: architectural drawings 1921-1924. SLV link here.
1873 Vardy John St Kilda Plan Map NW3 187 Property #21 owned by A Michie,
House names[-1902-1904] Farnley, [1904-1920] Lozells, [1920-1954-] Carnon
[1865-1899] Sir Archibald Michie (18??-1899), barrister, politician
[-1902-1904] Frank Leathley Armitage, barrister
[1904-1909] Louis Cadby?
[1924-1945] Percy Henry (d.1945) managing director of Percy Henry Pty Ltd, hotel brokers
Crouch & Wilson: main house 1865
Unknown architects: east bay extension ca 1880s
Gibbs & Finlay: proposed alterations & additions 1924. See SLV drawings YLTAD 106/227B
A & K Henderson: proposed additions 1926. See SLV drawings YLTAD 106/227B
Source Summary [or note]
1. Argus 1865.8.5 p.3 Tenders: Crouch and Wilson architects invite tenders for the erection of cottage residence on Alma Road, for the Hon. Archibald Michie, MLA. Drawings, etc, may be seen at their office, 49 Elizabeth-street.
2. Age 1904.11.16 p.2 Sales by Auction: Wednesday 23rd November at 12 o'clock. Charles Forrester …have been instructed to sell by public auction "Farnely', 142 Alma Road, East St Kilda, a substantial and roomy brick and stone residence [description follows].
3. Argus 1920.10.11 p.3 Sales by Auction: Auction this day, at 11.00am, "Lozells' 142 Alma Road, substantially built brick villa' imported slate roof, containing 10 rooms …Land 134 x 165.
4. City of St Kilda Building Permits register no. 4629 Building Permit: Dated 20 October1921. Owner: P Henry. Builder: Gibbs & Finlay. Brick additions. Fee paid 10s 0d.
5. City of St Kilda Building Permits register no. 5919 Building Permit: Dated 24 November 1924. Owner: P Henry. Builder: W N Gray, Sturt Street, South Melbourne. Brick additions. Fee paid 5s 6d.
This was a single storey, double fronted villa built in 1865 for Sir Archibald Michie, probably as an investment property. Michie lived at Waitara next door on the eastern boundary. The house was designed by the local architects Crouch & Wilson in the Victorian Italianate style. Their tender notice was placed in the Argus 5 August 1865 p.3. A symmetrical projecting wing with canted bay window was added to the eastern end ca. 1880s. Later named Farnley, the house was sold at auction in 1904, see Argus 16 November 1904 p.3.
The house now named Lozells was again sold at auction in 1920, see Argus 11 October 1920 p.3. It was acquired by the hotel broker Percy Henry, who renamed it Carnong. Gibbs & Finlay architects carried out alterations for him in 1921 that transformed the house to the Inter-War English Bungalow style, see City of St Kilda building permit no. 4629, dated 20 October 1921. Later architects A & K Henderson added a new study to the northeast corner, see City of St Kilda building permit no. 5919, dated 24 November 1924. The Henry family continued to own the house until the mid 1950s. Demolition occurred sometime in 1970s. It was replaced by two blocks of flats.