Stanthorpe was built in about 1875 as a private residence for merchant Alexander Sutherland.
A manse was built in 1869 on a government grant of land between Acland Street and the Esplanade near the Luna Park area (See Yamba for more details of the original Presbyterian Manse which is still extant on the Upper Esplanade). It was sold for £9306 and Stanthorpe, was purchased for £3500 in 1919 next door to the church at 42 Barkly Street, St Kilda,
It was sold to a private
It is a two-storey rendered brick Classical style mansion dominated by a central portico and cast-iron verandah. For some years, the manse was at 102 Hotham Street before Stanthorpe was converted into a manse and church officer’s flat in 1956. After infrequent use by the church, it was sold to a developer in 1999. It was renovated and is now being used as commercial offices.
SKHS Website The Spirot of St Kilda by Janette Bomford