1857 Prahran Parish Map (Identifying Crown Land Allotments 1845 onwards) Two Crown Allotments ID 16 and 17 owned by JH Spenser. SW Cnr Fitzroy Street and Grey Street. https://stkildahistory.org.au/our-collection/resources/parish
1855 Kearney Map along Fitzroy Street from Grey Street to the Jackson Street link to Fitzroy Street shown as unoccupied. https://stkildahistory.org.au/our-collection/resources/kearney-1
1873 Vardy Map West Ward Sheet 4 Allotment 41 along Fitzroy Street now in the name of S Jackson who also owns adjoining sites including allotments 37 38 39 and 40 along Grey Street now including a new conection making Jackson Street continouous to Fitzroy Street. Wattle House is on Allotment 40 being the home of S Jackson. https://stkildahistory.org.au/our-collection/resources/vardy-plans
1890's Circa 1900 MMDB Record 30 St Kilda .
Above information available on Maps section of the St Kilda Historical Society website
In July 1880, architects Smith & Johnson called tenders for the owner Ruben Barnard, most probably for 91-97. It was constructed by 1882 when its rates were first paid. Six years earlier, Smith and Johnson had been architects for the Esplanade Hotel (14).
[1880-]Irvine, Mrs Lily [-1915-] MMDB
According to Richard Petersons' Place of Sensuous Resort,a related Brooklawn was originally located at Queens Road. That Brooklawn was built and owned ? by George Bruce.In 1893-94 till 1895-96, the dark Depression years, George Bruce was forced to let Brooklawn, to Laurence Benjamin, financier and gentleman. This was clearly whilst he awaited completion (unusually, during the Depression) of his larger mansion, Clarence (now The Mansion), next door at 83.The Queens Road Brooklawn continued to be let until at least 1905. The next year, Isabella died and the title passed to her husband??.
In 1908 he died also and, curiously for the time, the title by-passed the sons to their sister, Edith Loudon Bruce who continued to live there.
1913 Edith Bruce sold Brooklawn to Dr Marcel Crivelli, a founder of the Alliance Française established at 17 Robe Street, St Kilda and moved to 91-97 Fitzroy Street, which she re-named Brooklawn, and operated as a boarding house.
In 1995, a redevelopment of the property began and apartments were sold off under the name, “Brooklawn Mansions”.
Smith and Johnson
Melbourne Mansions Database: 1411
Richard Peterson A Place of Sensuous Resort: Buildings of St Kilda and their People, Chapter 18
Whislt in the past these houses were set back from the street their front gardens have been used for retail shops. Number 93 is still visible with its grand entryway a featured vista through two shopfronts..