Barham House was constructed in 1850 to the designs of the architect John Gill (ca.1797-1866). It was built for Edward Bernard Green (1809-1861) wealthy pastoralist and businessman.
For more information about its history download this Barham data sheet235.96 KB.
|Architect||John Gill (1850); Reed and Barnes (1871)|
|Owners||Edward Bernard Green; John Lang Currie|
|Description||Built on a nine-acre block. Also featured an ancient Swiss cottage.|
|History||Edward Bernard Green, land speculator, had this magnificent residence built for himself in 1850. William Nicholson MLC, politician, lived at Barham House while he was premier from 1859-60 and until he died in 1865. John Lang Currie, grazier, bought half the property in 1869, and partly altered and extended it to an Italianate design. It was also renamed “Eildon”. Nowadays, the building is used by Alliance Francaise.|
|Occupants||Edward Bernard Green; William Nicholson MLC; John Lang Currie; Alliance Francaise|
Reference/s: St Kilda Historical Society. (2019, April). Still Standing – St Kilda’s Historical Mansions: Barham House 51 Grey Street, St Kilda. St Kilda Times, (227), 1 - 2. Retrieved from https://stkildahistory.org.au/news-and-events/newsletters
Front view in 1872, Port Phillip Collection image #SK0457
Compiled by: Introduction, photos and data sheet compiled by Peter Johnson; information table compiled by Sally Moore.
Last updated: 20.08.20