• Vivamus lobortis
  • Ut porttitor urna ut pretium
  • Phasellus convallis tincidunt enim.

Corinella (Demolished) 12-18 Tennyson Street

"Corinella", St. Kilda [home of] G. H. Baird, esq."Corinella" "Corinella", St. Kilda [home of] G. H. Baird, esq."Corinella" image H93.64/38, SLV Pictures

  • Date Built: Approx 1859
  • Demolished: 1912 when owned by Barrett
  • First European Land Owner:

    1857 Prahran Parish Map (Identifying Crown Land Allotments 1845 onwards)  Map ID 93 owned by M O'Sullivan .See area near Beach Road. BlessingtonGardens Marked as a Reserve.  https://stkildahistory.org.au/our-collection/resources/parish

    1855 Kearney Map site unoccupied. Blessington Street Gardens still vacant land   https://stkildahistory.org.au/our-collection/resources/kearney-1

    1873 Vardy Map South Ward Sheet 5 Allotment 60 in the name of E Brett. Nearest northern residence Woodlands.  https://stkildahistory.org.au/our-collection/resources/vardy-plans

    1890's Circa 1900 MMDB  Record 30  St Kilda .

    Above information available on Maps section of the St Kilda Historical Society website

     

  • Owners and occupiers:

    This section needs review

    Subsequently: Peyton/ Paton?; John Bramwell; Edwin Brett (See Vardy 1873); John Ross; Matthew Baird; Hugh Moore -  After Matthew Baird his daughter?

    1911 June 1 The Argus Corinella offered itself as a 'comfortable refined mansion Home for gentlefolk, electric leght, hotwater throughout; three acres beautiful ground; tentes; tennis; croquet, stables, one Minute Brighton Rd car' Pg 42 "Together Apart Boarding House Hostel and flat life in pre-war Melbourne. Seamus O'Hanlon

  • Architects:

     W. H. Ellerker (Identifed P Johnson).

  • Description:

    To come

  • History:

    Herald (Melbourne, Vic: 1861 - 1954), Thursday 8 August 1912, page 3
    Trove
    OLD ST. KILDA.
    MANSIONS DEMOLISHED'.
    Two interesting relics of old St. Kllda have recently been demolished to make way for modern requirements. One Is a property In Robe Street which 50 years ago was occupied by Dr Patterson. It comprised a well - grown .old fruit garden with trees which still return famous, yields and a quaint and rambling house built of sheet iron.  J Pattinson WW sheet robe  29-31 (next to M Michlaelis no 28 Acland Street.)
    Mr J. Whelan, who demolished the building for the present I owner, Mr J. Barnett, found that It was spread Irregularly over a space measuring. 60ft x 120ft  The method of construction strongly conveyed the impression, that the place was put together' by a ship's carpenter, for the ground-floor rooms arid attics were pieced together with the compactness observable on old sailing ships.  The forms of the rooms and gables suggested ships' cabins. The intrinsic portions of the buildings were of sheet Iron, which had evidently been Imported in sections and pieced together on a pre- conceived plan. Apertures were pierced in the front for windows and doors, and the Inside was partially lined with timber wainscoting.

    The other property, which also belongs to Mr Barnett, comprises three acres with a frontage to Tennyson Street. The land Is to be subdivided, and a street has been made through the centre of it. which work necessitated the entire demolition of one of the oldest and most spacious mansions In St Kllda. The property originally belonged to the Baird family, well known In the early days as pastoralists. The original lease was made out In the name of Miss Mary Baird. A daughter of Mr Baird married Mr A. W. Clark, a well-known member of the Melbourne Stock Exchange. The manslon contained 21 rooms, and the Interior was most beautifully decorated

  • Sources:

    Herald (Melbourne, Vic: 1861 - 1954), Thursday 8 August 1912, page 3 Trove

     

  • Compiled by: To come


Previously located where Motzart Street is now