1857 Prahran Parish Map (Identifying Crown Land Allotments from 1845 onwards) Map ID 83 ownership W Powell. See Woodlands for information on W Powell. Area near Beach Road. Blessington Gardens Marked as a Reserve. https://stkildahistory.org.au/our-collection/resources/parish
1855 Kearney Map site unoccupied.Land still crown land - Blessington Street Gardens vacant land https://stkildahistory.org.au/our-collection/resources/kearney-1
1873 Vardy Map South Ward Sheet 5 Allottment 61 in the name of I Witney nearest next residence E Brett ( Corinella) Bundalohn site part of Woodlands subdivision after 1873 https://stkildahistory.org.au/our-collection/resources/vardy-plans
1890's Circa 1900 MMDB Record 30 for Bundalohn St Kilda and record 347 for Bundalohn in the Dandenongs.
Above information available on Maps section of the St Kilda Historical Society website
Original owner Henry Gyles Turner.Henry Gyles Turner was born in England in 1831. In 1854, he left England, headed for Melbourne and worked for the Bank of Australasia. In 1870, he became the general manager of Commercial Bank of Australia. In 1887, Turner and his wife, Helen Ramsay (also from England), bought land in Tennyson Street and built the Bundalohn property. In his lifetime, Henry Turner held the position of president of the Melbourne Chamber of Commerce, trusteeship of the public library and National gallery, and the St Kilda Cemetery Trust. He also wrote a number of books, including one entitled, A History of the Colony of Victoria. His wife Helen was involved with various charities, such as the St Kilda Benevolent Society. After Henry died in 1920, the property was sold and sub-divided. The sub-division included Bundalohn Court. The house itself was converted into five flats. The new owner, William Darbyshire lived in one of the flats. It was substantially altered with removal of enclosed balconies to the North. Bunalohn Court was inserted on its northern facade next to the Woodlands estate which previously stretched to Blessington Street..
A Folio format book called Victoria's Representative Men at Home was published in 1905 and was a fully illustrated record of this era with many interesting images of the interior of some of these important houses at the time. This included a look into the way in which these houses were used by the owners- clurttered and rather dark by contemporary standards no doubt! The images relating to Henry and his wife Helen are included in the images below
Bates Henderson & Smart in the Italianate style
Interior (currently restored 2021)
Interior and exterior Images (Historic) taken from Victoria's Representative Men at Home 1905 Punch Lauerdale Folio format reproduction limited editions SKHS
Reference/s: St Kilda Historical Society. (2020, June). Bundalohn revealed. St Kilda Times, (231), 3. Retrieved from https://stkildahistory.org.au/news-and-events/newsletters
Cnr Bundalohn Court and Tennyson Street Recently restored Mansion is now Social Housing with new Social Housing units in the front.