In 1856 Paul Joske built the first residential terrace east of the Melbourne Town Reserve Boundary by locating 4 houses of the same kind on the East side of Barkly Street at a place best described by 2 Vardy's Survey (Sheet No. 1 N.W. Lots 45, 46, 47, 48). A Tender . . . 3 notice for the. building called by the architects Ohlfsen - Bagge exactly dates the construction, while the Rate Book_listing of 1857 gives some indication of its quality by valuing each house at 150 pounds(when a detached cottage- of 4 rooms might call a value of £50. (See Architectural Index notice Ohlfsen -Bagge 18.11.1856 and Vardy Survey sheets lots 58-65) SEE Howard Raggett pg 46
This house is extant. It was originally part of the City of St Kilda though now is part of Glen Eira Council area. Originally identified as vacant land on the 1873 Vardy Maps it first appeared in the 1901 MMBW maps.. Exterior and interior photographs are on the Glen Eira Historical Society Collection Victoria website . https://victoriancollections.net.au/items/5f9b46e9ca478a1c489a470c
The following information is from Victorian Heritage Council HO40 Craigellachie, 2b & 2c Lynedoch Avenue, Caulfield North - City of Glen Eira : https://vhd.heritagecouncil.vic.gov.au/places/65657
Craigellachie', a Victorian mansion was apparently erected in two stages for 1873 for Scottish born pastoralist and politician William Pearson. A formally designed conservative classical style two storey house is fronted by a later, more ornate, asymmetrically planned single storey addition with tower and perimeter iron verandah in an elaborate variation of the ubiquitous Italianate mansion house model.
'Craigellachie' of unknown authorship ( Identified by MMDB as Sydney W Smith) and uncertain date, is a building of importance as a comparatively fine surviving example of late Victorian era Italianate style mansions which proliferated in suburban Melbourne 1870-1890. The house is notable for the quality of the architectural details, tiled floors, opulent interior and dominant Italianate tower and was for many years the town house of William Pearson, prominent public figure and celebrated racing enthusiast.
'Craigellache' originally fronting Inkerman Street and now on a much reduced site has been partially subdivided into apartments. the essential architectural qualities of the house are intact.
During the recent Covid lockdowns in Melbourne, Julie Millowick kindly donated a huge collection of images of St Kilda to the SKHS. The images give us insight into the social history of the St Kilda area during the 1970's...........
.David Seddon arrived in Australia in 1848 to lead the first congregation at Christ Church, Acland Street St Kilda. He came with a dark history which has been provided to the Society by a contributor from Engand who has been investigating the Rev David Seddon and exploring his history by way of court transcripts. This sordid history has been collororated by work done by Liz Kelly confirming that in in 1868 he was again suddenly forced to depart- this time for England due to further accusations of misbehaviour........
Jeffrey Stafford, the author, submitted this story from England.
Alfred Deakin was Australia’s second Prime Minister; a position he served on three occasions - September 1903 to April 1904, July 1905 to November 1908 and June 1909 to April 1910, During the last decade of the 19th century he devoted his attention to the federation of Australian states which was achieved in 1901. Long before his parliamentary fame he was a resident of Marlton Crescent St Kilda......
Liz Kelly - March 2021
On the south side of Alma Road, 'Moira' once the home of Nicholas Fitzgerald MLC, still looks splendid.