Set high in the hill in St Kilda. the house designed by Samual Jackson must have had an imposing presence. Because of the size of the Estate it was subdivided many times before the eventual demolition of the house. The collection of photos of this is rather depressing and was fully recorded by
Built as a residence for Octavius Browne in 1851 and designed by Samuel Jackson, Charnwood House was located in one of the highest positions in St Kilda.
This now-demolished residence was built for Andrew Newell and family. Newell was from Massachusetts, and the name “Shawmut” most likely references the Shawmut Peninsula in Boston.
Other Names Unknown
Owners Peter Davis
Compiled by: Peter Johnson and Sally Moore
Last updated: 17.09.20
This content needs to be erified
The first church service in St Kilda was held at this site in 1849, when it was the “Ibrickane” mansion.
If Mirka had led the move to Melbourne, it was Georges’ idea to settle in St Kilda. The Tolarno Bistro and Hotel were ambitious projects for Mirka and Georges, almost too much so, making it a risky financial enterprise. Neither had skill in running a hotel, and extensive renovations had to take place before the restaurant opened in 1964. A further eighteen months went by before the family moved in. The Moras had bought the hotel from St Kilda residents Bill Roth and his wife Renee who had managed the hotel and the large downstairs dining room. Philippe had been joined by brothers William and Tiriel. All had separate rooms. Breakfast and dinner were taken in the bistro at ‘the family table’ and the boys grew up with a refined taste in food. The Moras brought a new sense of style to St Kilda, together with their celebrity clientele, and became well known local identities.