Owners of this mansion, built in approximately 1877, included Nairne Guthrie Elder and Michael C Jacobs.
At the first St Kilda Crown Land sale on 7th December 1842 allotment 13 consisting of 3 acres was sold to the squatter George Sherbrooke Airey (1810-1880).
It is believed that the original 1840s house is still hiding underneath the existing 1920s exterior.
The site was created by the subdivision of Crown Allotment 2 (the previous site of the New Bath Hotel) by the estate of John Duerdin in ca. 1870.
Stradbroke is one of a group of large mansions located on the western side of Grey Street and form an impressive streetscape in the area.It stnds between Eildon (now the Alliance Francaise) and Capri which is still owned by the Presentation order. This group of buildings have been extensively analyzed by Helen Halliday and Phillip Stewart. Their reports can be found in the 'read more' section below.