Formed by Crown allotment no.197B, purchased by John Bakewell at Government Land sale 1856.9.15, and the later purchase of parts of the adjoining Crown allotment no. 197A from William Kershaw.
Albert Tucker and Joy Hester once lived here, along with their son, Sweeney Hallam Tucker.
This house is extant. It was originally part of the City of St Kilda though now is part of Glen Eira Council area. Originally identified as vacant land on the 1873 Vardy Maps it first appeared in the 1901 MMBW maps.. Exterior and interior photographs are on the Glen Eira Historical Society Collection Victoria website . https://victoriancollections.net.au/items/5f9b46e9ca478a1c489a470c
The following information is from Victorian Heritage Council HO40 Craigellachie, 2b & 2c Lynedoch Avenue, Caulfield North - City of Glen Eira : https://vhd.heritagecouncil.vic.gov.au/places/65657
Craigellachie', a Victorian mansion was apparently erected in two stages for 1873 for Scottish born pastoralist and politician William Pearson. A formally designed conservative classical style two storey house is fronted by a later, more ornate, asymmetrically planned single storey addition with tower and perimeter iron verandah in an elaborate variation of the ubiquitous Italianate mansion house model.
'Craigellachie' of unknown authorship ( Identified by MMDB as Sydney W Smith) and uncertain date, is a building of importance as a comparatively fine surviving example of late Victorian era Italianate style mansions which proliferated in suburban Melbourne 1870-1890. The house is notable for the quality of the architectural details, tiled floors, opulent interior and dominant Italianate tower and was for many years the town house of William Pearson, prominent public figure and celebrated racing enthusiast.
'Craigellache' originally fronting Inkerman Street and now on a much reduced site has been partially subdivided into apartments. the essential architectural qualities of the house are intact.