Named after Sir Henry Barkly, GCMG, KCB, FRS, FRGS (24 February 1815 – 20 October 1898) who was a British politician, colonial governor and patron of the sciences. He was Governor of Victoria from 26 December 1856 until 10 September 1863. Prior to 1857 this was known as Boundary Road as it marked the extent of the City of Melbourne's jurisdiction.
A grand Gothic Revival building built in 1866 or 1867, designed by architects Crouch & Wilson, for edcator James Bonwick. The Hofwyl School was operated by Alexander Gillespie from 1871, until July 1878.
Robert S Bradely then established Queens College in the Hofwyl building, which seems to have closed in the 1920s.
The building still exists remarkably intact behind a late 1930s Art Deco block occupying the front yard.
A large house built in the Renaissance Revival style for Thomas and Margaret Alston c1863. It was later used as a boarding house for St Michael's Grammar School students known as St Margarets from 1918 to 1964, then demolished.
A two storeyed house that was built in c1852 or the 1880s. It was on a large block with extensive gardens, subdivided in 1910 into Emilton Ave. The house itself appears to have survived though greatly altered into flats c1950. No images of the house have been found.
Built in 1856, this row of four terrace houses with simple detailing is one of the earliest in St Kilda.