'Rondebosch' was built in 1868 for Israel Bloomington, a prominent Melbourne merchant.
Bloomington was born c.1826 in Poland, arriving in Australia c.1853. He was the proprietor of a boot/outfitters warehouse in Swanston Street and was a leading member of the Melbourne Jewish community.
He appointed architects Crouch and Wilson to design the house. In the same year they had designed a similar residence, 'Toldara' at 40 Alma Road for jeweller and merchant David Rosenthal.
Thomas James Crouch and Ralph Wilson were well known and prolific designers in Melbourne in the nineteenth century. They had good links with the Jewish community and worked extensively in St Kilda.
In 1872 they designed the first St Kilda Synagogue.
In I884 a two-storey addition was made to Rondebosch. Nahum Barnet was the architect (The Argus, 26 April 1884, p.11.)
Israel Bloomington died at ‘Rondebosch’ in 1878, at the relatively young age of 53 (The Argus, 24 May 1878, p.1)
In 1987 the house was purchased by St Michael’s Grammar School and is now known as ‘Hewison House’.
A mansion built in 1864 (an enlargement of an 1855 house), on a very large block facing Wellington Street. It was built for Dr. Henry Madden, and designed by Lloyd Taylor in a restrained Italianate style, with simple detailing and a single storey timber verandah. The grounds were subdivided in 1883 creating Marlton Crescent, the house remaining on a large block. In 1895 it became the Anglican St Michael’s Girls Grammar School, and in 1906 a large addition was made in matching style on the east side of the house, upsetting the symmetry. The school has since grown greatly, replacing many houses in Redan Street, incorporating the mansions Rodenbosch and Elmwood on Chapel Street, as well as the former St Georges Presbyterian Church opposite them.