The original meaning of esplanade was a large, open, level area outside fortress or city walls to provide clear fields of fire for the fortress' guns. In modern usage the space allows people to walk for recreational purposes; esplanades are often on sea fronts, and allow walking whatever the state of the tide, without having to walk on the beach. Esplanades became popular in Victorian times when it was fashionable to visit seaside resorts.
This site was formed from a subdivision of Crown Allotment 1 in ca. 1843-1846.
The New Bath Hotel was built in April 1857 as an investment for the local businessman and politician James Stewart Johnston (1811-1896), MLA for St Kilda 1859-64.
The site was created by the subdivision of Crown Allotment 2 (the previous site of the New Bath Hotel) by the estate of John Duerdin in ca. 1870.
History of house with images will be added here shortly.
The site formed part of Crown Allotment 7 and was purchased by Alfred Kirkpatrick in ca. 1880.
This site was created by the subdivision of Crown Allotment 7 into three sections, following Andrew Kirkpatrick's purchase of Acadia Cottage from the estate of Thomas Jackson in 1880.
In June 1846 Joseph Howard, proprietor of the Union hotel in Elizabeth Street, purchased Crown Allotment 8 with the intention of building a hotel facing the sea.
Built by William Spottiswood for The Hon James Stewart Johnston MLA and his family.
This elaborate wedding cake of a house was built on one of the prime pieces of land in St kilda overlooking the bay. It was demolished in.the 1970's and the land is now occupied by Arrandale, one of the last high rises to be built along the foreshore. Wickliffe was built for John Dickson Wyelaskie who was a higly successful parstoralist in the Western District. To learn more about the house and it's fate over time; continue reading here.