- The Spirit of St Kilda: Places of Worship in St Kilda
- Table of Contents
- Anglican Churches
- – Christ Church Complex
- – All Saints’ Anglican Church
- – Holy Trinity Church
- – St Bede’s Church
- Roman Catholic Churches
- – St Mary’s Catholic Church
- – Sacred Heart Church
- – St Colman’s Church
- – St Columba’s Church
- – Our Lady of Dolours
- Presbyterian Churches
- – St Kilda Presbyterian Church
- – Free Presbyterian Church (former)
- – St George’s East St Kilda Uniting Church
- – Scots Presbyterian Church Elwood
- Methodist Churches
- – The St Kilda Uniting Church (former)
- – St Kilda Parish Mission Uniting Church
- – United Free Methodists (former)
- – Methodist Church (demolished)
- Congregationalist Churches
- – Independent (Congregational) Church
- – East St Kilda Uniting Church (former)
- Baptist Churches
- – Particular Baptist Church (former)
- – Baptist Church
- Salvation Army
- – Balaclava Corps Hall (former)
- Life Christian
- Parish of Sacred Assumption of Holy Virgin
- Jehovah’s Witnesses
- Jewish Congregations
- – St Kilda Hebrew Congregation
- – Elwood Talmud Torah Congregation
- – Temple Beth Israel
- – Adass Israel Congregation
- Further reading
Adass Israel Congregation, 50th Anniversary Commemorative Journal, Adass Israel, [Ripponlea], 2002.
Barnes, Jack L., A History of the East St Kilda Congregational Church, East St Kilda Uniting Church Parish Council, Burwood, c. 1995.
Bick, David, St Kilda Conservation Study Area 2, c. 1984.
————, Victorian Church Survey, Uniting Church, Melbourne, 1988-89.
Breward, Ian, A History of the Australian Churches, Allen & Unwin, Melbourne, 1993.
Brodie, W. A. D. and Marks, Stan, St Kilda Sketchbook, Rigby, Adelaide, 1980.
Centre for Creative Ministries, History of the East St Kilda Uniting Church Parish: Application to the Local History Grants Program to make a 60-minute Video Documentary, Centre for Creative Ministries, East St Kilda, 1999.
Cooper, John Butler, The History of St Kilda 1840-1930, Printers, Melbourne, 1931, vol. 1.
Costello, Tim, Streets of Hope: Finding God in St Kilda, Allen & Unwin and Albatross Books, St Leonards, 1998.
Di Muzio, Emer, St Columba’s Elwood: A Chapel-of-Ease, n.p., c. 2000.
———— and Whitehill, Peg, (researchers), The Birth of St Columba’s, n.p., n.d.
Eidelson, Meyer, The Melbourne Dreaming: A Guide to the Aboriginal Places of Melbourne, Aboriginal Studies Press, Canberra, 1997.
————, Nation Builders: Great Lives and Stories from St Kilda General Cemetery, Friends of St Kilda Cemetery Inc., St Kilda, 2001.
Freeland, J. M., Melbourne Churches: An Architectural Record 1836-1851, Melbourne University Press, Carlton, 1963.
Gibbs, Margaret, St Kilda Methodist Church, typescript, 1978. [Copy held at Uniting Church Archives].
Hazell, Tom and Moore, Marie, A History of St Mary’s Church, n.p., 1987.
Hubbard, Timothy, ‘All Saints’ Church of England Church, Vicarage & Parish Hall, Chapel Street, East St Kilda: Submission to the Classifications Committee of the Historic Buildings Council’, Timothy Hubbard Pty Ltd, South Melbourne, 1989.
————, ‘The Former Independent Church, 9 Alma Road West, St Kilda: A report to the Minister for Planning and Urban Growth supporting the addition of the building to the register of classified buildings in the St Kilda planning scheme’, Timothy Hubbard Pty Ltd, South Melbourne, 1991.
————, ‘Wesleyan Church, Parsonages & School, Fitzroy Street, St Kilda: Submission to the Classifications Committee of the Historic Buildings Council’, Timothy Hubbard Pty Ltd, St Kilda, 1990.
————, and Juhola, Petri, ‘St Mary’s Catholic Church, Presbytery & Hall, Dandenong Road, East St Kilda: Submission to the Classifications Committee of the Historic Buildings Council’, Hubbard, St Kilda, 1989.
Lewis, Miles, (ed.), Victorian Churches: Their Origins, their Story & their Architecture, National Trust of Australia (Victoria), Melbourne, 1991.
Lewis, Nigel and Associates, St Kilda Conservation Study, City of St Kilda and the Historic Buildings Preservation Council, 1982.
McLaren, Ian, All Saints’ Church, East St Kilda, All Saints’ Church, East St Kilda, 1958.
————, ‘All Saints’ Church of England, East St Kilda, 1858-1958’, Victorian History Magazine, vol. XXXI, no. 2, November 1960, pp. 106-17.
Maidment, John, ‘Masterpieces of Suburban Gothic’, Trust News, June 1984, pp. 8-9.
Moloney, David, From Mission to Mission: The History of Sacred Heart Parish West St Kilda, 1887-1987, n.d.
Morton, John, ‘Aboriginal Religion Today’, in The Oxford Companion to Aboriginal Art and Culture, Oxford University Press, South Melbourne, 2000, pp. 9-16.
Mudrooroo, Aboriginal Mythology, Thorsons Harper Collins, London, 1994.
Peterson, Richard, Brimstone to Bunyip: Churches of Collingwood, Clifton Hill and Abbotsford 1852-1999, Collingwood Historical Society, Abbotsford, 1999.
Power, Francis Renton, ‘The Story of St. Columba’s, Elwood’, typescript, 1970. [Copy held at MDHC Catholic Archdiocese of Melbourne.]
Presland, Gary, Aboriginal Melbourne: The lost land of the Kulin people, McPhee Gribble and Penguin, Ringwood, 1994.
Radion, S., History of the Parish of Ukrainian Orthodox Church in Balaclava, not published, c. 1987 (in Ukranian).
Rosenthal, Newman H., Look Back with Pride: The St Kilda Hebrew Congregation’s First Century, Nelson, Melbourne, 1971.
Rubinstein, Hilary L., The Jews in Victoria 1835-1985, Allen & Unwin, North Sydney, 1986.
Smith, Ernie, Miracles do Happen: A Priest Called Smith, Collins Dove, North Blackburn, 1993.
Tanner, Howard, (ed.), Architects of Australia, MacMillan, Melbourne, 1981.
Ward, Rowland, The Bush Still Burns: The Presbyterian and Reformed Faith in Australia 1788-1988, Presbyterian Church of Eastern Australia, St Kilda, 1989.
Griffiths, A. Balcombe and von Hartel, Yvonne, ‘An Architectural History of the Wesleyan Methodist Church of St Kilda’, undergraduate thesis, Architecture, University of Melbourne, 1965.
Humphries, Michael E., ‘A School that has Passed: All Saints’ Grammar School, East St Kilda, 1871-1937’, M.Ed., University of Melbourne, 1986.
Montgomery, M., ‘All Saints Church, East St Kilda’, undergraduate thesis, Architecture, University of Melbourne, 1948.
Perry, Ian, ‘St Kilda Presbyterian Church’, undergraduate thesis, Architecture, University of Melbourne, n.d.
Soley, Stuart James, ‘“The Highest of the High” in “Marvellous Melbourne”: All Saints’ East St Kilda as Melbourne’s Original High Church, 1858-1908’, M.A., University of Melbourne, 1997.
National Trust of Australia (Victoria) files
Christ Anglican Church & Organ, St Kilda B2352
Fincham & Hobday Organ — Uniting Church, St Kilda B6113
Free Presbyterian Church, St Kilda B5864
The Manse (former Stanhope), St Kilda B597
Old Parsonage, 14 Acland Street, St Kilda B4474
Presbyterian Church & Organ, St Kilda B6184
Sacred Heart Church, Manse, Hall & Organ, St Kilda B5296
Sassoon Yehuda Sephardi Synagogue, St Kilda B7100
St George’s Uniting Church & Organ, St Kilda B5519
St Mary’s Catholic Church & Presbytery, St Kilda East B3159
Uniting Church & Organ, St Kilda East B5966
Wesleyan Church Complex, St Kilda B1909
Register of the National Estate Database
All Saints Anglican Church, St Kilda East 005418
All Saints Anglican Church Group, St Kilda East 014719
Christ Church Anglican Church, St Kilda 005422
Christ Church Complex, St Kilda 014706
Free Presbyterian Church (former), St Kilda East 013332
Holy Trinity Anglican Church, St Kilda 005417
Presbyterian Church, St Kilda 009868
Presbyterian Manse, St Kilda 005412
Sacred Heart Church Group, St Kilda 015379
St George’s Uniting Church, St Kilda East 014714
St Mary’s Catholic Church, School Hall and Presbytery, St Kilda East 014701
Synagogue, St Kilda 012769
Wesleyan Methodist Church complex (former), St Kilda 014698
Historic Buildings Council
National Trust, Submission to the Historic Buildings Council on the Former Congregational Church 1874, 29 August 1883, HBC File 84/3046.