• Vivamus lobortis
  • Ut porttitor urna ut pretium
  • Phasellus convallis tincidunt enim.

Methodist Church (demolished)

Substation occupies site of the Church
Corner of Mitford Street and Austin Avenue, Elwood

 The first church was built in 1910 and moved in 1916 to Mitford Street. The foundation stone for a new church was laid on 25 May 1918 by the Reverend Arthur Powell. At the same time a memorial stone was laid by the Reverend R. J. Nance. It was officially opened on 20 October 1918. The congregations of Scots Church Elwood and the Elwood Methodist church united in 1968. The Methodist church was demolished and the land was sold to the State Electricity Commission and a substation was erected on the site. The communion table, dedicated to Margaret Barrie ‘who gave a lifetime of Faithful Service to this Church’, is now in Scots Church. The foundation and memorial stones are also at Scots Church.[1]

[1]     ‘Elwood Presbyterian Church 90th Anniversary’, typescript, courtesy of Robert Belcher.