The coach-house and one small building still remain from this property owned by George Watson of Cobb & Co; Melbourne Hunt Club and VRC.
Other Names | |
Date Built | c. 1854 |
Architect | Unknown |
Builder | Unknown |
Owners | William (or Patrick) Cleary; George Watson |
Description | According to the 1897 MMBW plan, Fenagh Cottage had a croquet lawn at the left side and a tennis court at the right; a driveway leading to the coach-house and stables. The stables and tennis court are no longer there, however the coach-house and one other small building are still existing at the property. The current verandah on the property is not original, and alterations were made to the house in 1973 and some other changes funded by Heritage Victoria in 1987. |
History | Land was originally bought by F.G. Dalgety in 1846, and was part of his estate known as Dalgety’s Paddock. The land was subdivided in 1854 before Dalgety soon moved back to England. This particular block was bought by Henry Langlands, iron founder and politician. Along with Thomas Fulton, Langlands established the first foundry here in 1851. He sold off the block at 7 Burnett Street as he owned many other properties. It was bought by William (or perhaps Patrick) Cleary, and by 1855 there were a number of small buildings on the land, with the first St Kilda datebook in 1857 listing it as “a seven-roomed timber house and stables”. George Watson (of Cobb & Co; Melbourne Hunt Club and VRC) was listed as the occupant, who then himself bought the property in 1858 and lived there until he died. His family is recorded as still living in the property in the 1920s. It is unclear as to whether it was Cleary or Watson who “brought in sections” of the house from England. Watson (1829-1906) was born in Ballydarton, County Carlow, Ireland. Fenagh is a village in County Leitrim, Ireland, but it is unknown what connection Watson had to it. |
Occupants | George Watson and family |
MMDB Entry | 4553 |
Obituaries Australia Entry | http://oa.anu.edu.au/obituary/dalgety-frederick-gonnerman-283 |
Reference/s:
Image and content: Richard Peterson, A Place of Sensuous Resort: Buildings of St Kilda and their People, Chapter 25
Compiled by: Sally Moore
Last updated: 30.10.20

7 Burnett Street
St Kilda,Victoria
Australia 3182
St Kilda,Victoria
Australia 3182
Hidden behind vegetation this is a very old relic