The first church on this site was opened by Bishop Perry on January 29, 1871. It was a timber building accommodating about 300 people. It stood where the Parish Hall now stands. Its designer was the architect Francis Maloney White (1819-1888) who lived nearby in William Street.
In 1882 the architects Reed and Barnes, soon to become Reed, Henderson and Smart, were commissioned to design a new church. The first service took place on December 6, 1883. Due to the Parish's efforts to reduce the large debt that had been incurred in the construction of the church and the vicarage, the building of the spire was delayed. Regrettably this was never to be built.
History of Holy Trinity Church 1871-1933
In 1933, to celebrate 50 years since the completion of the second church, a short history was written. This is reproduced here.
Holy Trinity Balaclava history (2.92 MB)
Stained Glass Guide
The below document contains notes and a guide to the stained glass windows at Holy Trinity.
This was kindly prepared for the Society by Dr. Bronwyn Hughes.