• Vivamus lobortis
  • Ut porttitor urna ut pretium
  • Phasellus convallis tincidunt enim.
View in ca. 1918 showing advertising for the Commonwealth 7th War Loan
Australian War Museum image H02371

This building was opened on 20 December 1913 as a dance venue.

This building was opened on 20 December 1913 as a dance venue. However with the coming of the Great War the management thought it more appropriate to show films instead. This proved a very popular choice. To cater for the growing demand, in 1920 it was decided to replace the auditorium with a much larger building. This was constructed over the top of the original structure thus allowing performances to continue uninterrupted during the construction process. On completion of the new structure, the earlier building was disassembled except for the first bay containing the foyer. This was then re-erected on the adjoining site to once again function as a dance venue under the name of Palais de Danse.


Other names:   Palais de Danse Pictures, Palais Pictures
Date built:   Opened 8pm, 20 December 1913
Description:   A large hall 200 feet long by 80 feet wide with openable side walls to catch the sea breezes in summer.


Postcard ca. 1914, before side additions added, SLV image H90.160/926Postcard ca. 1914, before side additions added, SLV image H90.160/926




  Source  Content or [note]
1.  Argus 1913.12.9 p.10  

At last meeting of the council the application for the registration of the Palais de Danse as a place of amusement and a dancing saloon had been postponed for further consideration. Last night, when the subject was reintroduced, Councillor Hewison introduced a deputation of ratepayers who he said wished to protest against the registration of the proposal. [various discussions followed] 

2.  Argus 1913.12.22 p.8  

Dancing at St Kilda – Palais de Danse Opened

[Description of building and opening night activities]


Watch film footage from ca 1914, courtesy of National Film & Sound Archive of Australia