The Colligate School was established on 10th October 1853 by Charles Action Goslett, First Academic Scholar, Trinity College, Dublin with the support of the Anglican Church. Its first premises were in High Street just south of the Junction store, on the east side. It was later to move to the corner of Fitzroy Street and the Esplanade.
In 1860 Goslett was forced to close the school due to financial difficulties. Subsequently he taught at Melbourne Grammar and later as headmaster at Christ Church School.