|Born:||Born in Cork ca. 1824|
|Died:||19 May 1887, (London)|
|Religion:||Church of England|
Arrived Melbourne 1842 and articled to John Duerdin, solicitor; admitted attorney etc. supreme Court NSW, for Port Phillip 1847 and practised in Melbourne; established c1856 firm of Bennett & Taylor which became Bennett, Taylor & Sandford; after its dissolution he practised alone and c1871 formed new partnership, Bennett & Attenborough, later Bennett, Attenborough, Wilks & Nunn with the addition of other partners; retired 1885 and went to England. Vice-president Law Institute Vic. 1859, president 1860-1862. Advocate for Melbourne diocese. Pastoral investor but withdrew after losses from drought. MLC for Southern Province from November 1856 until he resigned in May 1863. #1
John Bennett owned Tandragee, 17-27 Fitzroy Street St Kilda from 1864-1869.
|Source||Description or [note]|
|1.||Re-member, Parliament of Victoria, http://www.parliament.vic.gov.au, retrieved 16.8.2014||[Sets out a short biography above]|