• Vivamus lobortis
  • Ut porttitor urna ut pretium
  • Phasellus convallis tincidunt enim.

Lost Schools

St Kilda was the home of many early schools. Here you will find short descriptions of some of them.

 

Alma Road Grammar (1875-1886)

Alma Road Grammar (1875-1886)

Edward Littlejohn Backhouse began holding classes in his father's house in mid 1875.

Read more


Clyde School

History of Clyde School awaiting further research and uploading.

Read more


Collegiate School (1853-1860)

The Colligate School was established on 10th October 1853 by Charles Action Goslett, First Academic Scholar, Trinity College, Dublin with the support of the Anglican Church.

Read more


Cumloden College (1891-1905)

In ca 1890 Cumloden villa was leased to William Martin Burn, a senior master at Melbourne Grammar.

Read more


Queens College

History of Queens College

Read more


St Kilda Grammar

History of St Kilda Grammar

Read more


Scotch College (1878-1902)

Scotch College (1878-1902)

James Bonwick met  Alexander Gillespie on his return voyage to Australia in 1871 and offered him a job at his Hofwyl School, St Kilda.

Read more


The Priory (1887-1913)

The Priory (1887-1913)

Miss Hatchell Brown purchased Lansmere and Sherwood Cottage in late 1886 and established The Priory Girls School.

Read more