Named after the Battle of the Alma (20 September 1854), usually considered as the first battle of the Crimean War (1853–1856), which took place just south of the River Alma in the Crimea. An Anglo-French force under General St. Arnaud and Lord Raglan defeated General Menshikov's Russian army, which lost around 6,000 troops
Mansions are listed by name and street number in this section accessible by pressing Read More Below
Set high in the hill in St Kilda. the house designed by Samual Jackson must have had an imposing presence. Because of the size of the Estate it was subdivided many times before the eventual demolition of the house. The collection of photos of this is rather depressing and was fully recorded by
Built as a residence for Octavius Browne in 1851 and designed by Samuel Jackson, Charnwood House was located in one of the highest positions in St Kilda.
This is a magnificent building which is in excellent condition belying its age. Originally built as a school it is now used as a private residence. It is late Victorian in the American Romanesque style. Information on this bulding and it history has been extracted from Citation 289 CoPP.
Though technically desscired as the work of Elleker and Kilburn, Kilburn's trip to America has been extensively documented by Miles Lewis skkowing his detailed work in the American Romanesque Style.
Sandhurst is one of the few remaining mansions along this section of Alma Road which is both visible and intact. It is in a collections of buildings on this site including one of the few remaining mansions with its stables intact. The front forcourt has an block of flacts added in 1926. The full recording of this iste is on the City of Port Phillip Heritage under Citation
Built for William Wilmot Couche, merchant and businessman. He was the founder of Couche Calder & Co and directed several insurance companies. Although it still stands at the same Alma Road address (under the name "Wavenhoe"), the street Wavenhoe Avenue has since been constructed through the property’s gardens and most of its land sold off.
Hertford/Herford was one of the most important houses to be built along Alma Road. Over time the land gradually increased in size and its gardens were a wonder to behold. It's first owner was Frederick Christian Lange (1832-1888) purchased Crown Allotment 172A sometime between 1864 and 1870, This file includes photographs taken by .